DARK DISABLED STORIES
February 28 - March 26, 2023 Run Time: 60 minutes, no intermission
DARK DISABLED STORIES
By Ryan J. Haddad
Directed by Jordan Fein
Produced by The Bushwick Starr
Presented by The Public Theater
Acclaimed writer and performer Ryan J. Haddad makes his off-Broadway playwriting debut with the hilarious and audacious DARK DISABLED STORIES.
Haddad’s newest autobiographical play is a series of unforgiving vignettes about the strangers he encounters while navigating a city (and a world) not built for his walker and cerebral palsy. Directed by Jordan Fein, DARK DISABLED STORIES probes implicit ableism and the assumptions we make about people we'll never really know.
DARK DISABLED STORIES will offer Open Captions, Audio Descriptions, and American Sign Language at every performance. Learn more below about accessible seating accommodations and our audience experience before selecting your seats for the performance.
- Captions and ASL are integrated into the design and staging of the production, so patrons need not sit in a designated area to access them. Still, we encourage members of the d/Deaf and hard of hearing communities to sit in the center of the house and at least a few rows back for optimal viewing.
- Audio descriptions of the production are included in the script's text, and a separate device is not necessary to access the description.
- We have expanded our wheelchair and mobility disability seating access in the front row of the Shiva Theater for this production. Still, space is limited based on the capacity of the venue, and we ask that companions who do not require accessible seating choose companion seats in the second row for the performance. The Public may adjust seating locations before or upon arrival at the performance to reunite parties who have been separated during the reservation process.
- The Public may adjust seating locations before or upon arrival to assist in meeting accommodation requests from guests with disabilities. We appreciate your assistance and support of a welcoming and inclusive experience for all.
- The Public strives to create an inclusive and welcoming space where audience members can be free to be themselves for this production, and expectations about audience etiquette are relaxed at this performance. We will share specifics about this relaxed theater experience in our performance reminders.
- If you require additional assistance in purchasing your tickets or accommodation due to a disability, don't hesitate to contact us by calling Audience Services at 212.967.7555 or
WED 03/01 7:00 PM
THU 03/02 7:00 PM
FRI 03/03 7:00 PM
SAT 03/04 7:00 PM
SUN 03/05 1:00 PM Mask Required
TUE 03/07 7:00 PM Mask Required
WED 03/08 7:00 PM
THU 03/09 7:00 PM Opening Night
FRI 03/10 7:00 PM
SAT 03/11 1:00 PM Mask Required
SAT 03/11 7:00 PM
SUN 03/12 1:00 PM Community Matinee; Mask Required
TUE 03/14 7:00 PM Partner Dinner. Please check your available benefits. RSVP to Partners Desk.; Mask Required
WED 03/15 7:00 PM
THU 03/16 7:00 PM
FRI 03/17 7:00 PM American Express Card Member performance, followed by a special post-show event. Access tickets by using your American Express Card.
SAT 03/18 1:00 PM Mask Required
SAT 03/18 7:00 PM
SUN 03/19 1:00 PM Mask Required
TUE 03/21 7:00 PM Mask Required
WED 03/22 7:00 PM
THU 03/23 7:00 PM
FRI 03/24 7:00 PM
SAT 03/25 1:00 PM Mask Required
SAT 03/25 7:00 PM
SUN 03/26 1:00 PM Mask Required
Tickets start at $60, plus fees*
Public Supporter and Partner tickets start at $45
View the Shiva Theater seating chart
*All orders subject to $7 per ticket service fee and $3 per ticket facility fee. All fees are waived for Public Theater Supporters and Partners. When purchasing tickets at the Taub Box Office the $7 per ticket service fee is waived.
Ticket access begins at 12PM ET on each listed date:
- Partner & Supporters Plus log in to access.
- Supporter Access log in to access.
- Amex Presale Access: Nov 30
- General Access: Dec 8
In keeping with guidance from the city, state, and federal officials, proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is no longer required for access to The Public’s facility, theaters, and the restaurant.
The use of a face mask is strongly encouraged at all performances, but a mask is now only required at all Tuesday evening and Saturday and Sunday matinee performances, as well as Joseph Papp Free Performances.
For complete health and safety protocols, visit Health & Safety, Next Steps.
Take advantage of Priority Access periods, savings on tickets, and a host of other benefits. At the same time, you'll be providing vital support in the creation of the art, music, and theater available in your 22/23 season. Join in today.
Take advantage of American Express® Early Access by simply entering the promo code AMEXPRE23 and using your American Express® Card at checkout between Wednesday, November 30 at 12PM ET and Wednesday, December 7 at 11:59PM ET.
Join us for an American Express® Card Member performance on Friday, March 17 at 7PM ET. Learn more about American Express® Seating Options.
The following dates are the Community Nights planned for this production. Please check back at a later date for more information on how to access the performance:
- Sunday, March 12, 1PM
A free membership program that delivers weekly email content about The Public, ticket offerings, invitations to special events, and news. Learn more and join in.