DARK DISABLED STORIES
DARK DISABLED STORIES
By Ryan J. Haddad
Directed by Jordan Fein
Produced by The Bushwick Starr
Presented by The Public Theater
Acclaimed writer and performer Ryan J. Haddad makes his off-Broadway playwriting debut with the hilarious and audacious DARK DISABLED STORIES.
Haddad’s newest autobiographical play is a series of unforgiving vignettes about the strangers he encounters while navigating a city (and a world) not built for his walker and cerebral palsy. Directed by Jordan Fein, DARK DISABLED STORIES probes implicit ableism and the assumptions we make about people we'll never really know.
WED 03/01 7:00 PM
THU 03/02 7:00 PM
FRI 03/03 7:00 PM
SAT 03/04 7:00 PM
SUN 03/05 1:00 PM Mask Required
SUN 03/05 7:00 PM
TUE 03/07 7:00 PM Mask Required
WED 03/08 7:00 PM
THU 03/09 7:00 PM Opening Night
FRI 03/10 7:00 PM
SAT 03/11 1:00 PM Mask Required
SAT 03/11 7:00 PM
SUN 03/12 1:00 PM Community Matinee; Mask Required
TUE 03/14 7:00 PM Partner Dinner. Please check your available benefits. RSVP to Partners Desk.; Mask Required
WED 03/15 7:00 PM
THU 03/16 7:00 PM
FRI 03/17 7:00 PM American Express Card Member performance, followed by a special post-show event. Access tickets by using your American Express Card.
SAT 03/18 1:00 PM Mask Required
SAT 03/18 7:00 PM
SUN 03/19 1:00 PM Mask Required
TUE 03/21 7:00 PM Mask Required
WED 03/22 7:00 PM
THU 03/23 7:00 PM
FRI 03/24 7:00 PM
SAT 03/25 1:00 PM Mask Required
SAT 03/25 7:00 PM
SUN 03/26 1:00 PM Mask Required
TUE 03/28 7:00 PM
WED 03/29 7:00 PM
THU 03/30 7:00 PM
FRI 03/31 7:00 PM Post-Show Conversation
Tickets start at $65, plus fees*
Public Supporter and Partner tickets start at $50
View the Shiva Theater seating chart
*All orders subject to $7 per ticket service fee and $3 per ticket facility fee. All fees are waived for Public Theater Supporters and Partners. When purchasing tickets at the Taub Box Office the $7 per ticket service fee is waived.
In keeping with guidance from the city, state, and federal officials, proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is no longer required for access to The Public’s facility, theaters, and the restaurant.
The use of a face mask is strongly encouraged at all performances, but a mask is now only required at all Tuesday evening and Saturday and Sunday matinee performances, as well as Joseph Papp Free Performances.
For complete health and safety protocols, visit Health & Safety, Next Steps.
Take advantage of Priority Access periods, savings on tickets, and a host of other benefits. At the same time, you'll be providing vital support in the creation of the art, music, and theater available in your 22/23 season. Join in today.
Join us for an American Express® Card Member performance on Friday, March 17 at 7PM ET. Learn more about American Express® Seating Options.
Sunday, March 12 at 1PM is the Community Performance for DARK DISABLED STORIES. We invite those in the disabled and d/Deaf communities to join us with the code AccessDDS, which unlocks $30 tickets for that performance.
A free membership program that delivers weekly email content about The Public, ticket offerings, invitations to special events, and news. Learn more and join in.
Remediated for screen readers
Content and Production Effect Warning
Learn about runtimes, late seating, production effect advisories, and more.
DARK DISABLED STORIES will offer Open Captions, Audio Descriptions, and American Sign Language at every performance. Learn more below about accessible seating accommodations and our audience experience before selecting your seats for the performance.
- Captions and ASL are integrated into the design and staging of the production, so patrons need not sit in a designated area to access them. Still, we encourage members of the d/Deaf and hard of hearing communities to sit in the center of the house and at least a few rows back for optimal viewing.
- Audio descriptions of the production are included in the script's text, and a separate device is not necessary to access the description.
- We have expanded our wheelchair and mobility disability seating access in the front row of the Shiva Theater for this production. Still, space is limited based on the capacity of the venue, and we ask that companions who do not require accessible seating choose companion seats in the second row for the performance. The Public may adjust seating locations before or upon arrival at the performance to reunite parties who have been separated during the reservation process.
- The Public may adjust seating locations before or upon arrival to assist in meeting accommodation requests from guests with disabilities. We appreciate your assistance and support of a welcoming and inclusive experience for all.
All performances of DARK DISABLED STORIES are relaxed performances. A relaxed performance shifts traditional theater conventions in favor of an audience that may benefit from more sensory considerations and openness surrounding social norms. In DARK DISABLED STORIES' version of relaxed performances, there is less dramatic lighting and no strobes, house lights are always dim and never fully dark, loud abrupt sounds are limited, and people can come and go as they please to use the bathroom or take a break.
At any time, audience members may use the movement space, which is located on the right side of the theater and will be marked by tape and a sign. A movement space is an open area within the theater where audience members can pace, move, stim, stand, or sit on the ground while still experiencing the show from inside the theater.
Before the show, there will be tactile samples of the set that audience members are invited to touch and interact with. These samples will be located on the right side of the theater against the wall in the movement space.
ALDs are available upon request when the house opens (generally 30 minutes prior to each performance) free-of-charge and on a first-come, first-serve basis at the theater entrance by speaking to the house manager or ticket taker.
- Please access the Performance Social Narrative that will provide you more information on attending the show at The Public.
- If you require additional assistance in purchasing your tickets or accommodation due to a disability, don't hesitate to contact us by calling Audience Services at 212.967.7555 or
Ryan J. Haddad
Scenic & Costume Design
Director of Artistic Sign Language