INFORMATION FOR PATRONS WITH INTELLECTUAL OR DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES
The Public Theater strives to make its performances, digital content, website, and facilities accessible to all people. For additional information or if you have questions, need assistance, or an accommodation not mentioned below, please contact us at 212.967.7555 (voice) or [email protected].
SENSORY FRIENDLY PERFORMANCES
The Public Theater looks forward to welcoming a neurodiverse audience to the theater by offering sensory friendly performances. Sensory friendly performances include:
- Preparatory Materials - The Public Theater will provide a social narrative for all sensory friendly shows. A social narrative is a visual and written guide, which supports audiences in knowing what to expect at the theater. It outlines information about getting to the theater, the space, supports available, and the plot and characters in the show.
- Technical Adjustments - Lighting, sound, and transition cues will be adjusted slightly. The house lights will remain on and dim throughout the performance.
- Sensory Supports - A variety of fidgets will be available for audience members as well as noise canceling headphones. There will also be an area outside of the theater where audience members can take time away from the performance.
- Flexible Expectations - The Public strives to create an inclusive and welcoming space where audience members can be free to be themselves. At many performances, audience members may be expected to remain quiet and seated throughout the show. Expectations about audience etiquette are relaxed at this performance.
All are welcome at sensory friendly performances, especially those who may benefit from the supports listed. Sensory friendly performances are created in collaboration with a team of accessibility consultants including individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Please contact Audience Services at The Public Theater by calling 212.967.7555 (voice) or email us at [email protected] with any questions or concerns.
UPCOMING SENSORY FRIENDLY PERFORMANCE RESOURCES.
THE PUBLIC THEATER SOCIAL NARRATIVE
TIPS FOR DIGITAL CONTENT
Here are a few suggestions for viewing or listening to any of our digital content at home:
- Adjust the volume to a comfortable level.
- Pause recordings to take a break and return to them at any time.
- Adjust the brightness of your screen.
- Review the performance details for information about what to expect.
- Contact Audience Services at [email protected] or call 212.967.7555 (voice) with any questions.